Bigger is (Not Always) Better

22 December 2012

Franklin Covey Compact Binder.

I won this wonderful Franklin Covey binder off of ebay during my recent search for a green planner fix. Unfortunately, I don't know the exact style and I had no luck getting a response from its previous owner. But, it was listed at a fairly decent price that I couldn't resist so, I decided to take the plunge. Plus, the binder is a lovely shade of olive green, its leather is soft and unstructured (which means it'll hug all its innards like a glove), it has a plethora of pockets, two pen loops and it has some of the biggest, BADDEST rings I have ever seen in a planner.


This planner is a compact size binder (a personal in Filofax speak), and has a ring size of 1.75"! Even though I was well aware of its ring size when I bought the planner, I was still pretty shocked at its enormousness upon receiving it in the mail. Overall, the planner was in good condition considering it was listed as Used. I love its many compartments. On the inside you have a total of six card holders, pen loop, a secretarial pocket, and a full-length slip pocket behind that. On the back there is a second pen loop, another secretarial pocket and a small zip compartment. You'll also find a nice hidden pocket on the back of the planner.

Lovely details AND a hidden pocket in the back!

I love the little details of this binder. Take for instance the little leather strap that snaps close over the card pockets to help keep cards in place. This I've never seen before in any planner I've ever owned (and I've owned several FC binders in the past). Though I'm not much of a fan for planners with big buckles (which are adjustable), I have to say that the double pen loops make for a pretty darn good compromise. Other than that, it's a fairly decent binder. Here's a few more photos of the Jolly Green Giant next to my lovely Crimson Malden.

FC rings VS. Maldens rings.

FC binders are slightly wider than the Filofax.

Looking awfully empty compared to my stuffed Malden.

Anyway, it's been a few days now that this binders been in my possession and I still can't get over how ginormous its rings are! As you can see, my Malden's puny rings are no match. In fact, they're so big that they may be even too big for me. I know, insane, right? I mean, aren't bigger rings what most planner people love and what Filofax users only dream of? I don't know. Maybe it's been awhile since I've been with a planner with rings of this size. Maybe I've become so used to the rings on my Filofax that 1.75" is just way too big for me to handle.

Even when stuffed with the few FC inserts I managed to scrounge up in my desk (monthly tabs, week on two pages, several sheets of note paper, a set of dividers, and several plastic inserts), it still looks mighty anorexic next to my fatty-fat Malden. I hate to see a perfectly good planner unused but I haven't found any use for it yet. For now, the binder sits a top my desk looking lonely, forlorn, and starved with its big ol' rings. I can't imagine ever filling up rings so big or how heavy the whole thing would be if I ever did manage to stuff it to its full capacity. Besides, I've only just gotten my Crimson Malden and I am quite happy with it. With all that said, I'm unsure whether or not I want to keep the binder until I find some use for it or sell it altogether.

Hmmm. Decisions, decisions...

20 comments :

  1. I do like it!!! ALOT.. not keen to the buckle but those huge rings are awesome! And all those pockets! I would be interested in it if you make a decision.... =)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Great! I'll keep you in mind. Thanks. :)

      Delete
  2. I really love these massive rings but I'm not crazy about the buckle thing either. I could easily fill giant rings like that but I worry the whole planner would be a bit difficult to carry in hand like I always do with my filo. Pretty color, and I love that strap to keep your cards secure!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That's exactly what I thought, too. I'm pretty sure I could fill it up but, if I did, I could only imagine how heavy it'd be once filled. My Malden is quite heavy stuffed and that's with the puny rings!

      Delete
  3. Do you know what kind of FC binder it is? I absolutely love it!! I can only use A5 Filofax as I have soooo much stuff and I would love to have a binder that fit in my bag. I would also say I am interested but I think the postage would be far too much to the UK.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I tried contacting the seller prior to purchasing it off eBay but he/she never got back.

      Delete
  4. I love this binder! For how much did you buy it?

    ReplyDelete
  5. I also like the binder! The rings are great. I do not know how you use your planner, but I can consider using it as a excersice planner + eating journal + diary + adresses + collecting nice sentesices + money diary + to do's + journalling. So if you would like to sell it and Suzee doesn't want it, I may be intresested!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Oh! That looks delicious. Take notes Filofax!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Hi Car,
    do you know the exact name of it?
    The fact is, that I've purchased the same recently on Ebay.
    I would be interested in buying it from you, because your colour is much more beautiful!
    Best, Maus

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Sorry. I tried asking the seller but never got an answer.

      Delete
  8. I have a FC compact binder with 1.25 rings. I've only seen one other with those gigantic rings! But I so love the 2 pen loops. All the binders used to have 2 but in the past 5 years or so (maybe longer) they've been only putting one. I don't know whose stupid idea that was - they obviously don't use planners!

    I'm so jealous of the 2 pen loops - mine only has one.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ah, us planner lovers and our pen loops. LOL. They were, in fact, one of the things that interested me when I first saw it. :)

      Delete
  9. I had that same binder in a Classic/A5 size! I loved that front pocket, I could stuff everything in there. It was a great planner but then I downsized to a personal. I didn't catch this one up on Ebay or I would have given you a run for your money!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Here's what I found out for you---it's called an "Ava" binder. Same exact inside and outside as the olive green one. However, it's no longer available new in that color. Now it can be purchased (Compact=Personal) in Teal, Plum, and Charcoal gray. It costs $89.00 retail from the official site: franklinplanner.com.
    .It's in pebbled leather

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Although it resembles the Ava, it's definitely a different binder! The Ava has much smaller rings (about 1 inch only) and the clasp/buckle on the front is different.
      The true identity of this green giant will remain forever a secret, I'm afraid ... ;-)

      Delete
  11. Hi Carla, I have the exact same binder in Plum! I got mine at the local Goodwill for $2.00! I would love to find out the history and official name but have had no luck as well. I would also be very appreciative of any information should anyone know how to research it. IMO, I love it including the cute closure buckle but the large rings makes it difficult to physically carry in hand. I'm looking forward to purchasing my first Filofax this Summer but will keep this one as a storage device. Thank you in advance! Cynthia

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ooh, in Plum, eh? I take it that it's a lovely color. I might have made an exception had I gotten it in that color. Purple's my favorite! Anyway, yes, the rings were just WAY, too big. Otherwise, a lovely binder. I actually decided to sell it soon after I received it so it is now in a good home where it is getting the love it deserves. Thanks for stopping by! :)

      Delete
    2. Hi! Just curious as to how you are doing in this binder, after this time. :) Thanks!

      Delete
    3. Hi, Maryann! Wish I could say as I sold this planner a bit after this post was written. I wasn't using it and so decided in the end to sell. :)

      Delete

Thanks for reading! Your comments are much appreciated. ♥

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...