A Heartbreakingly Close Look at The Baroque

03 May 2013

I have been searching for the Baroque for quite some time, and now that I finally have it in my possession, I figured it deserved a proper review. Besides, I did promise that I'd share more photos and my overall opinion about this particular Filofax once I gave her a go.

It's been over a week since I received her in the mail. It took me awhile to fully move in because I spent the most part of a day both petting and stroking its smooth, soft leather, and contemplating her overall color. I am so not a pink kind of girl, and although this shade of pink is tolerable in that it's not too bright and over the top, at the end of the day, it's still pink. However, once I opened her up and traced my fingers across the intricate design of her insides, I broke down, ditched my purple Malden, and immediately started moving things in.

The Baroque's leather is smooth to the touch and, much like my beloved Maldens, it is super flexible and floppy. So much so that it laid flat right out of the box. Some of my Maldens have actually needed a day or two of training! I particularly love the little belt strap detail on the closure. Someone told me that they didn't like how plain the outsides of a Baroque looked. But, I think the simple design of its exterior is perfect because it's what's inside that gives it that wow factor. Once opened you're met with that dramatic Baroque print which looks as though twisty vines and flowers have taken over the insides of my planner. Just beautiful.

The interior pockets are reminiscent of the Malden's with the full-length zip pocket and vertical card slots on the left, and a notepad pocket on the right. The only two differences is that the Baroque actually has six card slots total (the Malden only has four plus one full pocket behind the zip compartment) and, unlike the Malden, does not have the extra compartment behind the notepad pocket.


One thing I did discover about the Baroque is that it appears to be a bit narrower than most Filofaxes I know so that my inserts (all Filofax brand/similar sized inserts, mind you) almost meet the sides of my planner, leaving very little space between them, the strap closure, and the pen loop. See how the tops of my tabs peek out on the sides?

This was something I didn't know about the Baroque. I wasn't sure if this was something true of all Baroques or just mine. I must have overlooked this detail during countless photo searches. And, although it's a minor flaw (some might not even consider it a flaw), I still don't know how I feel about it. I figure this would be a bigger issue if I used wider inserts (say, Franklin Covey). Fortunately, that's not the case. I'd easily shrug the whole thing off if weren't for the fact that the inserts get in the way of my pen(s) when closed.

Overall, I think it's a beautiful Filofax and one that earns its spot in any Filofax collection. But, am I absolutely in love with her? Surprisingly....no. And I so wish I did! It's like dating someone extremely attractive only to find out that there's no connection whatsoever between you two. No spark. Nothing. Nada. I don't know if it's the overall color or the fact that my inserts poke out, but I'm just not as enamored with the Baroque as I thought I would be. Still, she sits pretty on my desk, helping me plan my days. Sadly, I'm not sure if there's a future for us, but only time will tell.

One thing's for sure though. My purple Malden is probably laughing at me right now. I know exactly what she'd say. Well, you know, assuming Filofaxes weren't inanimate objects and could speak.

You'll come back, she'd say. You always do...

And she might actually be right.

12 comments :

  1. Lol I do wonder how many people will offer to take her off your hands after reading this, she is so beautiful and I love pink. I do think the tabs poking out would annoy me though.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I've received offers ever since I got her! Lol. It's not goodbye YET. As for the peek-a-boo tabs, so far, I've been able to contain my OCD and just deal with them. We'll see how long that lasts!

      Delete
  2. "Its like dating someone extremely attractive.." Hehe I know how that feels! She is quite photogenic though. Lovely little thing!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. She is, isn't she? It's what's making letting go a bit hard despite everything else. :)

      Delete
  3. I wish Filofax company make outside of Baroque the same as inside! I love it!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That would be lovely! I believe they made a Baroque style Filofax Domino with the similar print on the outside and plain in the insides. I wish they'd bring this style back for future models. Thanks for reading!

      Delete
  4. I have the pink too, and tt's funny you mentioned the width because I noticed it too. I can definitely stuff more in the Malden and it would still close with no problem, which, unfortunately, the Baroque cannot handle. But it has a special place in my collection for all the reasons you mention in your post.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi, Doris! I believe yours were some of the photos I lusted after during my search! The Baroque is so beautiful that it's easy to forget some of her "flaws". :)

      Delete
  5. I had the same issue with the tabs and the pen loop in the pocket baroque, but I just stuff my pen into my rings and it seems to be working for me so far! You can try it out, if you have enough space.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi, Sarah! I'll have to try that. Thanks for the suggestion. So far, it closes just enough so that my inserts don't get too squished and damaged. We'll see how everything comes to play in the next couple of days.

      Delete
  6. So I have spent most of this morning looking through all the filofax websites for a Baroque, I found listings for them but none were available to buy. Looking at the photos though I'm being drawn more towards the pink now than the teal, I'm so fickle ;)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Amanda! I am selling my Baroque right now as we speak on eBay!!!! If you're interested in the pink, there's still time left to place your bid. :)

      Delete

Thanks for reading! Your comments are much appreciated. ♥

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...