2015 Planner Prep: Change is in The Air

24 October 2014

Sorry for the little hiccup last week that resulted in no post. I'm back now. :)

Around this time, every year, I start thinking about my current planner set up and whether or not there are things that need changing. With this seasons new line of planners and all the 2015 diaries now available, I can't help myself. I've been in an A5 for all of this year and I've quite enjoyed it. However, lately, I've been asking myself if I really need all that space. On most days (because there are those super busy days) the answer is NO. Don't get me wrong, having the space--both ring and writing--whether I use it or not, is awesome. But, I'm starting to find that the size might be too big for my needs and have been contemplating making another change.

So, I recently pulled out my little storage case where I keep spare planner inserts to see what I had to work with as far as downsizing. These are mostly personal size inserts so I took a few sheets of note paper and a blank page from a past years diary and laid them out on my desk. Immediately I was blown away by how small everything looked. I really don't know how I managed before! After being spoiled rotten by all that extra space in my A5, I wasn't sure if I could see myself in a personal size planner again. But, where else is there to go?

I briefly considered the idea of an A6 planner after seeing some of the gorgeous custom binders popping up on the Van der Spek Facebook group. But, an A6 is about half of an A5 size sheet of paper, just a tad shorter than personal size and slightly wider. I'm not so sure if I'd be able to swing it. And Pocket and minis are totally out of the question. I needed something more compact without losing too much writing space. I've discovered that I can do smaller rings if need be. I've had my fair share of Filofaxes, after all, with their 23 mm rings and the 35 mm on my Van der Spek have never been maxed out. Yes, smaller rings I can work with it. But, I need to be able to write in my planner without feeling too cramped.

Then I remembered I had some Franklin Covey compact size note paper stored somewhere. I found those and laid a sheet next to a personal size note paper and felt a little better. If you don't know already, Franklin Covey Compact size inserts measure 4 1/4" x 6 3/4" (108mm x 172mm) and run slightly wider than Filofax Personal size inserts which measure at 3 3/4" x 6 3/4" (95mm x 171mm). That extra little space on the side doesn't seem like a whole lot but, to me, it makes a huge difference! Here's a visual for you. Filofax personal size note paper is on the left, Franklin Covey compact size note paper is on the right:

And on top of each other:

This is definitely something I could work with. However, going down this road meant I'd have to hunt down an ideal binder. Unfortunately, all my binders from my Franklin Covey days are long gone and the two decent planners I had acquired on a recent quest were no longer available. No luck on eBay, and the Franklin Covey website was a no go because, let's face it, it's slim pickings when it comes to finding a decent binder on there nowadays. So, I had to look elsewhere. To keep a long story short, I was able to get my hands on this one.

I'll have to save the detailed review for next time, but this is the French Seam binder which is available via the Franklin Covey Japan site. I've learned that this is Japan's version of the Tailor binder here in the US. Unfortunately, the Tailor planners are no longer available. Franklin Covey won't allow you to purchase from outside your own country (bummer), so I was able to buy this off of a friend overseas. It's fairly new and is in excellent condition. I love everything about it so far which says a lot having come from this.

I'll be finishing up the rest of 2014 in my A5 and move into the Franklin Covey at the beginning of next year. At least, that's the plan. Ah, changes. Change is good, right? Right?

Anyway, have you started your planner prep for the new year? Will you be keeping things the same or do you plan on changing things up, too? As always, I'd love to hear about it in the comments below. Until next time, thanks for stopping by. Happy Friday!

5 comments :

  1. I change year round, with tweaks and such, so no big change on January 1. Still, I love looking at the changes that others make. I miss the rush and reset of the big change!

    http://giftieetcetera.blgospot.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I love looking at what others do, too, but I think that's part of the problem! ;)

      Delete
  2. No changes in the inserts. Still going to work my system, MO2P, WO2P, with a blank sheet ( punched on both sides - thanks giftieetcetera) occasionally slipped in as needed. Now, that doesn't mean the binder book won't change.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I was always a Wo2P person myself. I'm trying out the Do2P layout this year so we'll see how that goes. But, I also like the idea of the blank sheet punched on both sides for busy days. Thanks!

      Delete
  3. BEAUTIFUL blue planner!!.. And I love the Franklin Covey I presently use myself! I bought mine used, and just cannot bear to switch to anything else because I LOVE the 1 3/4" rings. Wish SOMEBODY... ANYBODY, would make more planners with bigger rings, but I'm really very happy with the one I have. I just hope it holds up for me for as long as possible!.. Have a great week! ~tina

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for reading! Your comments are much appreciated. ♥

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...