First Look: Mia Binder by Franklin Covey

09 January 2015

Yup, I did it again! Went and switched things up on you guys! See what I did there? Don't act surprised. If you've been following, you know I've often struggled between planner sizes so this isn't anything new. From a personal sized Filofax to an A5 planner to a Compact size Franklin Covey then up to a Classic. I'm just all over the place! This time I'm not going to tell you how much I "absolutely love this planner", and how I think I've achieved some kind of "planner peace". No. No more promises. But, I will tell you why I think the Classic and I will get along quite well later on. First, let's take a quick look at my newly acquired binder.

This is the Mia binder by Franklin Covey in Classic size and, unfortunately, it's another model that has long been discontinued. You'll find this one pop up on eBay from time to time though. Based on my research, I'm guessing this binder dates back to 2011-2012. The Classic size in the Franklin Covey world would be equivalent to an A5 Filofax except for the fact that it has 7 rings instead of 6, and takes half letter sized (5.5" x 8.5") inserts. The rings are also spaced differently.

The binder is made out of leather like material. I'm usually a leather snob, but this one actually feels real nice and sturdy. It's got a smooth, patent/shiny like finish and I love the stitching and the two toned look with the dark red and cream. I've seen photos of several Mia binders in various colors and have an eye out for the purple and cream colored one that I saw featured in a planner video. Those darn planner vids. Evil enablers, I tell ya! ;)

There's an exterior pocket in the back which is always handy. And, if you haven't noticed already, this one's a zipped binder! I swore up and down that I hated zipped binders but, you know what? I quite like this one. It has no trouble laying flat at all, even with all the inserts sitting to one side, and the zipper zips closes very smoothly. I especially like the little ring on the zipper pull. I think it adds a bit of fun to the overall look of the binder. Also, I'm starting to like the idea that, with a zipped binder, everything is nicely tucked inside. Very different, but very nice.

When opened, the interior of the binder is lined with some black fabric like material. Wish they would have just used the same faux leather for the insides or at least stuck with the same red/cream color scheme but, that's just my opinion. You get a large secretarial pocket to your left complete with six card slots and an ID window pocket. On the right side, there is another secretarial pocket (yay, for secretarial pockets!) with a zippered compartment that's gusseted and not hard to get into and there are two partly elasticated pen loops. I am currently using a Pilot Hi-Tec-C Coleto Me 4 Color Multi-Pen and a Uni Style Fit 5 Color Multi-Pen. Both pens are quite chunky and fit comfortably in either pen loop.

The 7 rings are massive at 1.5" which is the largest I've ever had in a planner. I have seen other Classics with rings up to 2"! But, for its intended purpose, 1.5" is more than I need. The rings are fixed on with hex screws which means they are easily replaceable when needed. I contacted Franklin Covey recently regarding spare rings and was told they had some available for ordering which is wonderful news. You can also find replacement rings on eBay. I don't think I have them filled to capacity because there's definitely still a bit of room left on them. I don't like to over stuff anyway as doing so can cause major damage to the rings, but it's nice to know there's room if I need it.

Anyway, putting this binder together and setting it up was super fun because I had easy access to all the things I needed at my local office supply store and places like Target and Walmart. Just one of the benefits of going Classic. Plus, working with half-letter sized inserts makes it easier to print things out from my computer onto letter sized paper. Just print, fold, cut, punch and go. Easy peasy.

The Classic is my main planner but, because of its humongo rings, it's rather large and can get pretty heavy. Maybe not super heavy because I think the fact that it's not real leather helps a little bit with that. But it's definitely still not something I can just throw into my bag. So it stays at home. I'll continue to carry my Traveler's Notebook in my bag as an on-the-go type planner. The whole big-planner-at-home/little-notebook-in-my-bag set up worked great for almost a whole year last time, so I think I'll go with it again this year. I rarely need more than a shopping list or two when I'm out and about anyway, so I don't have any reason to carry my planner around with me.

So that's that. My chosen binder for the year. I'm really feeling the Classic size, people. So far, so good. But it is only January, right? So, I'll leave it at that. Like I said, no promises. However, I can promise a set-up post in the near future because I don't think I've ever done a proper one before. There aren't a lot of Franklin Covey related posts out there to begin with so I'd like to do ol' Franklin a favor and show him some planner love this year. I used some type of Franklin Covey planner for a long time before branching out and trying other brands. I've come full circle and, thought it's been awhile, I feel right at home. ♥

I hope everyone has settled quite well into their planner of choice. I'd love to know what type of planner you're using (or plan on using?) for 2015. How are you liking it? Have you gone and switched things up for the new year or have you decided to stick with the usual? Feel free to share in the comments below and, as always, thanks for stopping by. I'll see you next Friday!

11 comments :

  1. How is carrying it going? It look heavy.

    http://giftieetcetera.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I don't. It stays at home for the most part. I'm a stay-at-home mom and find that, most of the time, I don't really need it when I'm out. I carry a Travelers Notebook that houses lists, and a place where I can jot down any information I accumulate when I'm away that I can easily transfer over to my planner if I need to when I get home. It works for me. :)

      Delete
  2. The colors are great! And the pen loops hold a Coleto, I am jealous, ha!
    I'm a fan of the 5.5x8.5 size - it's both easy to manage, as it's just half a piece of paper! I was using that size for quite a while, and loved it, but it was just a *tiny* too big to take around all the time.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. One of the many perks of a Franklin Covey--big rings and big pen loops! I'm really loving the Half-Letter size myself. So much easy to work with and find at local stores. I agree, I can't imagine carrying this around although I know a lot of people do.

      Delete
  3. LOVE your beautiful planner for 2015!.. I took my time searching for my first planner, and when I first laid eyes on THE one I knew I had to have, it was a Franklin Covey! It has the 1 1/2" rings you speak of, has a black leather cover, and I ADORE it. It's slightly worn now, because ANYTHING in MY purse can really take a beating, but it's still absolutely gorgeous, and I have NO plans of parting with it!! When some other maker finds the sense to come out with a 1 1/2" rings, I'll THINK about it, but I don't know. It turns out I just might be a one-planner kind of girl, and that's it!.. Just sayin'!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Is yours a Classic size as well? I'd love to see more FC's out there being used. And, yes, I have yet to see another brand match the giant rings that FC has to offer. So far, I'm very happy with my choice. :)

      Delete
  4. Gorgeous. Love the 2 pockets. Wish I could find that color combination in Compact size. Tried a FF Personal last year. Too small. Tried FC Classic, too big. Now trying the FC Compact. This might be the Goldilocks size for me. Crossing fingers.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think you'll find the compact a great in-between. When I decided to go from an A5 planner back to a personal size Filofax, I found the inserts just too small and narrow. That extra width you get with the FC Compact makes a big difference. If I ever downsize again, it will definitely be a Compact FC.

      Delete
  5. One month into 2015, and I'm still in the Compact. However, only the calendar inserts are that size. Notes and lists are still in Personal size. Ive adopted GiftieEtcetera's index system for projects on Personal size, followed by the calendar, then Note section also in Personal size. Looks strange but I now can have 3 pens in my binder.
    Just ordered a green FC Compact Boston. After reading your review and seeing your pictures, I could no longer resist. Can't wait to move into "Sprout".

    ReplyDelete
  6. Are you interested in selling this?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi, Angie! Thanks for your interest, but I'm afraid I sold this binder a long time ago. The good news is is that the Mia binders show up on eBay every now and then so I would definitely keep an eye out for one there. There are also various Franklin Covey planner groups where members can post their unwanted binders for sale. Franklin Covey Addicts Facebook group is one of my favorites. Good luck!

      Delete

Thanks for reading! Your comments are much appreciated. ♥

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...