National Reading Day 2015

23 January 2015

Today marks the annual National Reading Day, a day which celebrates and encourages reading by younger children. So, I thought it relevant to dedicate a post to my other paper love affair--books.

Ever since my husband and I found out we were preggo with our first son, I made a list of all the awesome things I wanted to pass down to him. My love for reading was definitely on that list and, since way before he even arrived, I read to him. We've been reading ever since. I've made it my mission to read to him often and expose him to as many forms of literature as I possibly can. And, guess what? He loves books and is now reading (or pretending to, atleast--he can't read yet) to his baby brother.

So, in honor of National Reading Day, I thought I would share some of the children's books that have become favorites in our household. Some are classics, and some we've discovered along the way. They are listed in no particular order.

  • Go Away, Big Green Monster! Ed Emberley
  • The Napping House Audrey Wood
  • I Love My Pirate Poppa Laura Leuck
  • Peekaboo Morning Rachel Isadora
  • Polar Bear, Polar Bear, What Do You Hear? Bill Martin, Jr./Eric Carle (any Eric Carle book)
  • Trucks Go Steve Light
  • First Book of Sushi Amy Wilson Sanger (got to represent my husbands Japanese side and what better way than through food? All the books from her World Snacks line is adorable and, not to mention, yum!)
  • Llama, Llama, Misses Mama Anna Dewdney
  • Everywhere Babies Susan Meyers (we read this to our oldest when were expecting our second)
  • Love You Forever Robert Munsch
  • Where's My Teddy? Jez Alborough
  • Where The Wild Things Are Maurice Sendak
  • Any of the Curious George books by H.A. Rey
  • How Do Dinosaurs Clean Their Room? Jane Yolen
  • Green Eggs and Ham Dr. Seuss

There are obviously tons more, but the list would go on forever. These are just our usual go-to's. I've acquired most of the books in our collection from my days teaching pre-k and working with younger children. But, we also get our book fix by visiting our local libraries when we can. My son was beyond thrilled the first time he got his very own library card. Yup, he's definitely my son! I've also bought books second hand from various places, and have even asked for them as presents for my children on Christmas and on their birthdays instead of the usual toy. I don't know about you, but for me, picking up books around the house is way more enjoyable than cleaning up toys. Think Lego pieces. Everywhere.

Anyway, hope our list of favorite reads will help add a new one to yours. What are some of your go-to childrens books? Whether it's for me or for my kids, I'm always open to learn about a new book. Do share in the comments below. I'd love to hear from you. Happy reading and, as always, Happy Friday!

2 comments :

  1. It's wonderful that you instil good reading habits at an early age. I don't know any of the books you've listed except for Dr. Seuss but I'm from an older generation. Hehehe... By the way, I nominated your blog for the Liebster Award and hope you'll find some time to play along :-) You can find more info here: http://plannerbug.com/2015/01/the-liebster-award-nomination/

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You can never go wrong with Dr. Seuss. Thank you for the nomination! I believe I've been chosen for one of those before. Very fun. I'll have to stop by and check yours out. :)

      Delete

Thanks for reading! Your comments are much appreciated. ♥

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...