Planner-Plus-Wallet Dilemma Solved

27 February 2015

I've always fancied the idea of having both my planner and my wallet all together in one neat little place. I'm sure I'm not the only one who feels this way. In fact, there are many who make it work and I so envy them. I've tried many times before without success and yet I still keep coming back to the idea every time I'm in a new planner.

Anyway, after another failed planner-plus-wallet attempt in a Franklin Covey Compact Aurora, I recently discovered that I may never get this whole thing down. Maybe it's just not for me. I made my peace with it and it's all good because, for the new year, I've got myself a new wallet that kind of sorta gives me the best of both worlds. Let me share.

At the beginning of the year, I purchased this Compact Zipped Malden from Filofax. It is in the gorgeous Ochre color. The Ochre Malden, if you recall, were my absolute faves of all the Filofaxes. I had been considering this purchase after the Compact Finsbry didn't work out. The compact was to be my on-the-go planner while my main planner was at home. I eventually decided on using a Traveler's Notebook as a carry around planner, and passed up the Compact Malden altogether. Until, of course, Filofax had a sale and, like always, I hit that checkout button before I could even really think about what I was going to do with a Compact Filofax. "Wallet" was the only real reason I could think of to justify my purchase. But, did I really need a new wallet? Wasn't the one I've had for the past few years, however gross and grungy looking, work just fine? And then I received the compact Malden and, well, fell in love. Go figure.

Isn't she just pretty? *sigh* I love me a Malden. ♥

The Compact Malden really is no different from any other wallet I've owned in the past except for the one feature that makes her stand out--her rings. I still get that "planner" vibe and I find that they come in handy when organizing everything I carry in my wallet.

I don't keep much on the rings. The first thing you'll see is my cover page ("dashboard" if you want to call it that) which is just a top loading plastic insert with a pretty yellow polka-dotted cardstock inside. I've also slipped in a photo of my babies which is nice as I have never really had a place before in my wallet for photos. I am all about a cover page when it comes to my planner setups and this wallet is no different. I don't know, but there's something about having something pretty to see as soon as you open something. This functions strictly as a wallet (and I'll tell you why later) so I don't keep a diary in it at all unless you count the year calendar that I printed out from Philofaxy to have just in case.

I use a double sided plastic pocket insert from DayRunner for storing receipts and coupons. Cards I use less frequently go into plastic card inserts. These are mostly rewards/point cards. I don't carry very many so that really helps with the bulk. Most places usually give you the option to just input your phone number during checkout so I've done away with carrying those cards around a long time ago.

At the very back is where I keep my check book which sits neatly inside this neat Filofax insert made specifically for it. I've had it for the longest, but because I've never used my Filofaxes as a wallet, I've never got around to using it. Behind that is a little plastic page lifter. There is a secretarial pocket at the back for slipping in odds and ends, along with one fully elastic pen loop.

In the gusseted pocket is where most of the bulk is. The Compact Malden has a ton of card slots and pockets for things. There are more cards slots in this thing than the number of cards I have! I keep the most used ones at the very front, medical cards and all that other stuff in the slots behind those. Coins go into the zippered compartment in the middle, and cash goes in the larger slip pocket at the back. Everything has its place and that makes me one happy camper. There's even a handy exterior slip pocket at the back where my cell phone fits snugly inside.

The compact Malden so far has performed great as a wallet. The zippered closure means nothing's falling out and I don't have to worry about it getting all scuffed up when it's in my bag because all those marks and dings on its leather makes it all the more beautiful. I've used mine non-stop for a few months now. Maldens are meant to be thrown about in my opinion. They can take it. :)

I do try to minimize the amount of things I carry in it though as it does affect how the whole thing closes when stuffed. In fact, I can't see how one could carry an entire planner in this thing because it's pretty tight as it is with what I have in it. The gusseted pocket alone with all its card slots sticks out if filled up and gets in the way of everything on the rings. I can't imagine fitting an entire years worth, or even a months worth of diary pages, plus note paper, and other things. Also, the pen loop is at a very odd place. When closed, my inserts rest on top of my pen. Surprisingly, it doesn't bother me as much as I thought it would. And forget about putting any fat pens inside or even pulling the pen loop aside because, again, doing so makes the entire thing hard to zip close. If you're a stuffer, you might want to reconsider. Maybe a Compact with a strap as opposed to one that zips might be a better option.

Other than the minor design flaws listed above, I'm loving it! I normally don't switch out of my wallets as much as I do my bags and my planners so I look forward to having this one for quite some time.

Are you a planner-plus-wallet user? Do you use a Compact size Filofax or something similar as your main planner? I'd love to hear your story in the comments below. As always, thanks for stopping by Yay, for Fridays! Have a fantastic day, everyone! See you guys next time.

6 comments :

  1. So glad you've found what you've been looking for. Sometime in the early 2000s, I had a beautiful green wallet/ organizer combination by Mundex, that worked for about a week. Couldn't stand it. I loved the binder, but for security reasons, it was a total fail. Like you, I started carrying a second binder just to act as wallet. I need to start that again. My Boston is getting too fat.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. If the rings on the Malden was just a tad bigger, it'd be the perfect on-the-go planner! I may try and print some free MO2P diary pages and see how it'll fit. It's all I really need when I'm out.

      Delete
  2. I've always liked the idea of a planner/wallet combo, but it just wouldn't work out well for me, I feel. I like having all my cards tucked away in a wallet in my purse, and my planner when I'm out grocery shopping (the most regular shopping I do!) is normally left in the part of the grocery card that would hold a child. I don't walk away from it, so to speak, but I don't guard it closely, either, like I would need to if it had any cards in it!
    This wallet/planner combo though is gorgeous. The ochre Malden is indeed a beautiful thing (all the Maldens are, really). The zip is very wallet, like, but it still has rings to add some pages (if it were me, I'd have my finances in there!). But then where do you keep your shopping list - in the planner, or do you take it out?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I felt the same way about having my wallet contents in my planner. It just felt odd opening my planner up when paying. The Malden is working great I think because it does look like a wallet and has wallet like features. The rings are just an added bonus. I love that I can add things to it like card inserts, or even note paper if I wanted to. As for grocery lists, I usually have them written down on loose note paper which I can slip into the Malden.

      Delete
  3. I use a brown Filofax Ranger as my purse. It has places for notes, coins and credit and debit cards. I keep notes, diary, todos and addresses on the rings. I have a filofax pen in the loop.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Do. You know where this item can be purchased?

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for reading! Your comments are much appreciated. ♥

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...